Sunday, May 3, 2009

They're all my favorite

I spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out which artist's work I like best, but it's like choosing between Zevon and Clapton. They're all different, but my favorites in their own way. So I'll just explain why I like each one. I like Pollock's works because he never tried to make his art fit into any category, he just did it. He didn't focus on conveying some complicated message through his work. Especially in his later work he just let the art flow through him instead of carefully executing what was in his head. I like de Kooning for the colors that he uses and how he expresses emotions rather than concrete things (they all do that, but I like the way he does). I like his originality and the movement that he expresses through his art. I like Kline because he expresses the complexity of simplicity so effortlessly, but sometimes he expresses just how simple everything that we make complicated is (if that makes sense). The thing that I like most about all of the artists is that their art contradicts many of the things that society emphasizes like money and stature.

No comments: